Start the Adventure in Reading
Founded in 1985, STAIR provides volunteers that tutor and mentor public school students who are in danger of failing reading at no cost to their families. STAIR's overall mission is to improve the reading skills and self-esteem of lower elementary school students. The organization was incorporated as a nonprofit in 1991. Our program goals have remained the same since our founding:
- increase the reading level of "skill deficient" students who participate in the program
- increase each participant's sense of self-worth and self-esteem by providing a program which expands each student's knowledge of self and the greater world of reading
- provide a caring environment which will promote a greater and more meaningful dialogue among multi-ethnic volunteers, students, teachers, and parents
- provide our services at no cost to families for the duration of the school year
STAIR’s curriculum includes the following components:
- literacy games
This school year, STAIR will operate 24 tutoring sites with the goal of serving approximately 240+ public elementary school students from 43+ schools in Orleans, Jefferson, and St. Tammany Parishes. Each tutoring site is staffed with a paid and trained site director and trained volunteer tutors. We anticipate more than 350 volunteers who will teach reading and support our program. A volunteer coordinator recruits and trains all volunteer tutors.
STAIR provides all students with basic school supplies, new books, dictionaries, and healthy snacks.
All staff and volunteers must complete a background check.
Register Your Child
We are accepting registrations for the 2018-19 school year. Please fill out the STAIR Registration Form for 2018-19 school year. All registration forms must be accompanied by a copy of the results of a school-administered reading assessment. Please contact your child's school for a copy of their reading assessment results.
Here is a list of possible reading assessments and our accepted score ranges:
- Fountas & Pinnell: G-K
- DIBELS (Words Correct): 20-50
- DRA: 12-20
- STEP: 3-6
If the assessment used at your child's school is not on the list that is okay. Please include the results from the assessment used at the school with the registration form and we will review it.
You can submit the registration form and assessment scores by email (scan), fax (504-895-2668), by mail (1545 State St, New Orleans, LA 70118) or by hand delivery (1535 State St, New Orleans, LA 70118).